Services and Programs
1 on 1 Online Tutoring:
When your child is struggling in their science course, it can get frustrating- fast. That’s where I can help. In a 1 on 1 tutoring session, it is just the student and I working together at THEIR pace. We will go over (and over again if needed) the concepts until they have attained a mastery understanding of the principle in both a qualitative and quantitative demonstration. This means that not only will they be able to explain it in their own words, but give examples of where it is used in daily life and be able to demonstrate the application in the appropriate context.
Each student I work with 1 on 1 is also give a free membership into the homework club (see below for more details).
Below is a sample of how a tutoring session is structured.
- Warm Up (5-10 minutes):
- Review homework problems from last session
- Talk about what student has covered in class since we last talked
- New Learning (30-35 minutes): (This time is divided into three sections: before, during, and after)
- Before activities might include: teacher modeling, building background, or introducing new concepts, unique vocabulary and new strategies for problem solving
- During, the student is guided through a series of practice problems that demonstrate the concept being worked on. I assist when needed by prompting them when they are stuck, helping with reading comprehension of word problems or asking questions to check on overall comprehension of the topic
- After, the student and I will review the problem set, to ensure their mastery of the concepts in this setting. Any problems that they experienced will be addressed at this time with immediate re-teaching of the material, directed questions and guided practice.
- Directed Study/ Homework (5-10 minutes):
- Directed Study is a quick review of concepts that have been previously covered. It may consist of a single problem that requires multiple steps to solve or a short essay question (similar to many national assessments). This is very hands-on learning for the student!
- The scenario patterns and structures that the student studies are chosen based on the needs of your child.
- Homework (15-30 minutes outside the session):
- Each week I will give a short homework assignment that will consist of 5-10 questions or a puzzle that will focus on the topics covered during our session. Often, students think they “get” something when they are working directly with the teacher, but as soon as they’re on their own, they discover they may not have grasped it as well as they thought. This is a way to ensure that what was covered in one session is truly mastered before we move forward to the next section.
- Each session will be recorded and a link sent to the email on file so the lesson can be reviewed as many times as needed.
Homeschool Science Programs:
Are you a homeschool parent who is trying to teach your high school aged child science and is struggling nearly as much as they are? Let me help. Please call me at (585) 735-5048 to discuss your individual needs and we will develop a plan specifically for you and your student.
The Homework Club:
The Beatles said, “I’ll get by with a little help from my friends.” Sometimes all we need is a little extra guidance to see us through the rough spots.
The Homework Club is a membership site that grants access to private videos of various sample problems being solved. These problems are comparative to the ones your child is likely finding on their day to day assignments. Some are taken directly from high school or middle school text books, some from state assessments, while others are completely original. If there isn’t a solution similar to the one that your child is struggling with, they may email me and we’ll do our best to get timely help to them (and hopefully have a new video to help others).
Membership in The Homework Club is very affordable at only $20.00 per month. You can sign up here. (Please note, if you are a current tutoring student your tuition already covers this program.)